Pattern Cutter - Maternity Cover
Reporting into: Head of Product
Managing: Studio Freelancers
The function of this role is to create accurate patterns according to design and technical requirements and to ensure that the best possible garments can be produced to given deadlines on a seasonal basis.
- Make sample patterns as required to seasonal deadlines according to the Designer’s drawings, ensuring that all work is informed by an awareness of the collection’s themes as well as its cultural and fashion references.
- Develop shapes and altering patterns according to the Design team’s feedback in fittings.
- Work closely with the sample machinists to make up samples and correct any issues with the patterns.
- Maintain the MG block library. (i.e always reference the block for round neck / smocking height across body etc).
- Maintain accurate technical records for each product, ensuring records are as clear as possible for the production team.
- Work together with the Head of Product and Atelier Coordinator to create a weekly pattern room schedule to ensure patterns are ready to the required deadlines and in line with the seasonal critical path.
- Create and maintain an accurate yield specification for manufacture and costings. Work together with the Head of Product to identify potential improvements to consumptions and cost effective construction.
- Resolve any problems that may arise with patterns when used by factories or in house sample machinists.
- Attend weekly fitting sessions throughout the development and pre production stage of each season. Action all amendments and flag to the Production manager when a PPS should be actioned.
- Manage pattern grading and build a strong relationship with graders to ensure all patterns are accurately graded and delivered on time.
- Meet with the Head of Product and Production Manager on a weekly basis.
- Book and manage freelance pattern cutters to oversee their work and ensure the correct freelancer is allocated the suitable pattern. (i.e understand their expertise).
- Attend Bridal and Made to Order appointments as and when required to fit bespoke garments, including taking measurements and pinning for alterations during fittings.
- Manage the alterations of all custom garments.
- 5+ years experience within a womenswear Luxury Atelier is required.
- Good experience with managing freelance pattern cutters.
- Strong technical knowledge and experience of garment construction & pattern cutting across various womenswear categories.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Good eye for detail, shape and proportion.
- Creative when producing patterns from design sketches and vintage garments.
- Highly systematic, well organised with excellent problem solving skills.
- Numerate with the ability to produce accurate work.
- Culturally sensitive.
- Interested in Womenswear – fashion, trends and history.
This job description defines the role as it exists now. It is not meant to represent an exclusive description of the job holder’s responsibilities as these may vary from time to time in line with the needs of the business. This role may change and evolve over time and any changes will be communicated appropriately.
Please send your CV and a cover letter to applications@mollygoddard.